Saturday, August 11, 2012

Spaghetti Squash

You see it at the grocery story, but you're just not sure what to do with it.  Squash.  Specifically, Spaghetti Squash.  I see healthy recipes try to replace pasta spaghetti with spaghetti squash.  I can't fake out my mouth when it comes to pasta (I LOVE my carbs).  However, if I think of it like a vegetable (though technically its a fruit), its delish!!!!

Preheat oven to 350.  Cut your spaghetti squash in half (length-wise).  Note: Use the biggest knife you have.  This will NOT be easy (unless the biggest knife you own is a machete). Remove seeds with a spoon.  Place cut-side-up in a baking dish.  Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Bake for 50-60 minutes or until mostly tender.  [8/21/2012 EDIT: increase oven temp to 375; bake about 45 minutes.  If its not tender yet but getting brown on top, turn over the halves to be open-side-down for the last 10-15 minutes.]

Let sit for a few minutes, then remove from "shell" with a fork (hold squash with pot-holder if needed).  Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired, along with about 1 Tbsp butter (real butter - sliced thinly) and freshly grated parmesan cheese.  

1 comment:

  1. I love spaghetti squash...and really it is so simple and delicious. Why do I so easily forget about it??

    ReplyDelete