Thursday, June 21, 2012

Appetizer Rollups


I both love and dread the announcement of "Food Day" at work.  I love it because I LOVE to cook and I LOVE to share my cooking with friends.  I dread it because I'm just not sure which recipe to pull out of my collection.  Appetizer?  Crock-pot concoction? Dessert? There are WAY too many choices.  The good news is that different styles of appetizer rollups are ALWAYS a hit.  Here I'll showcase both a tortilla option as well as a vegetable option.


Let's start with my old favorite:

Tortilla Pinwheels


This was probably the very first recipe I developed.  I was looking for something to make for my High School graduation reception.  There were some decent recipes out there, but none of them were quite what I wanted.  So, I put this recipe together, and its been a pot-luck and family-holiday favorite ever since.  

Here's what you'll need:

5-6 Burrito-size Tortillas
1 Pint Sour Cream
1 8-oz Pkg Cream Cheese, softened
2-3 Tbsp Southwest Seasoning*
1/2 Pkg. Ranch Dip Mix
1/2-1 small (4.25-oz) Can Chopped Black Olives
1/2-1 small (4-oz) Can Chopped Green Chilies
1 Cup Finely Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Thinly Sliced Ham (lunch-meat works well)

*Taco Seasoning will work, but I prefer Pampered Chef Southwest Seasoning

Mix together cream cheese and sour cream.  Stir in Southwest Seasoning and ranch dip mix; Stir in olives, chilies and cheese.


Spread mixture over tortillas.  Place ham in individual slices on top of spread.  Roll tortillas tightly.  chill in fridge at least 1-2 hours, either in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap.

Once chilled (giving the cream cheese a chance to firm back up), slice into 1/2 inch slices and serve.  NOTE: Use a serrated knife and rely on the sawing motion to cut, not the downward motion.  This will help keep the shape of the roll.


Leftovers can be saved in an airtight container in the fridge for several days. 

IN A NUTSHELL:

5-6 Burrito-size Tortillas
1 Pint Sour Cream
1 8-oz Pkg Cream Cheese, softened
2-3 Tbsp Southwest Seasoning*
1/2 Pkg. Ranch Dip Mix
1/2-1 small (4.25-oz) Can Chopped Black Olives
1/2-1 small (4-oz) Can Chopped Green Chilies
1 Cup Finely Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Thinly Sliced Ham

Mix sour cream, cream cheese, Southwest Seasoning, ranch dip mix, olives, chilies and cheese.  Spread over tortillas, top with ham slices.  Roll.  Chill.  Slice.  Watch your friends DEVOUR.



P.S. Some people like these with salsa.  I think there's so much flavor already packed into these rolls, who needs to "water it down" with salsa?  Just my humble opinion.  :)


***OTHER GOOD FILLING IDEAS***


JALAPENO-BACON "POPPERS"
1 Pint Sour Cream
8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 of a 12-oz Jar Sliced Jalapenos, drained & chopped
1/2 Pound Bacon, cooked & chopped
1 cup Finely Shredded Cheddar Cheese



BUFFALO CHICKEN ROLLS
1 Pint Sour Cream
8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
12 oz (approx) Buffalo Chicken Bites (such as Tyson Any'tizers - Buffalo Style Boneless Chicken Wyngs), baked as directed, chopped
2-3 oz Louisiana Style Hot Sauce
*sprinkle some additional hot sauce over the finished rolls if desired.


 ***



Looking for a "lighter" option?  This recipe has been floating around Pinterest for a while.  I decided to give it a try!

Cucumber Feta Rolls


As much as I'd love to claim this recipe as my own, it is not.  You can find the full recipe here.

Use a vegetable peeler to create your cucumber slices.  For this recipe (and really any recipe that calls for cucumbers), I like to use "English" or "Hot House" cucumbers.  They're longer and leaner, and have less seeds. Peel one strip off of the cucumber, then in the same spot peel one more strip.  This will create a "flat" surface so the cucumber doesn't roll around on you.  After you flip the cucumber over to sit on the flat side, make the same two peels on the top side.  Continue to peel in the same fashion until you get to the seeds (you will have a couple strips that have some seeds, that's ok).  Once you've got all the peels you're going to get from one side, flip back over and peel slices from the bottom side until you get to the seeds.  Do this with 2-3 cucumbers (I needed about 2 1/2 cucumbers since I don't use the middle). Lay the slices out on paper towels while you make the filling.

In a bowl, mix the feta and Greek yogurt with a fork.  Add in the chopped sun dried tomatoes, chopped Kalamata olives, dill, lemon juice and pepper.


Place 1-2 tsp. of the mixture at the end of each cucumber slice.  If there's one end of the cucumber that has some seeds and one end that doesn't, place the filling on the end with seeds (so it ends up in the middle).  Roll up the cucumber around the filling and secure with a toothpick.  If there are too many seeds, the toothpick won't hold in the roll very well when you go to pick it up.


I think these also might be good with a dried cranberry & pecan mixture.  I might have to try that.  I'll let you know if I try it.  Let me know if you try it first! 


IN A NUTSHELL:

2 cucumbers
6 ounces crumbled feta
3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
2 1/2 - 3 1/2 tablespoons finely diced sundried tomatoes or red bell pepper
8 - 12 pitted kalamata olives, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon roughly chopped dill or oregano
2 teaspoons lemon juice
pinch of pepper, or to taste

"Slice" cucumber with vegetable peeler.  Lay flat on paper towels.  Mix remaining ingredients with fork.  Place 1-2 tsp filling on end of cucumber slice.  Roll.  Secure.  Enjoy without guilt.

***Also good with diced roasted red peppers in place of the olive and tomatoes.***

No comments:

Post a Comment