Tuesday, June 26, 2012

BCTA (My Take on the Classic BLT)

BLT.  A summertime favorite.  Ever since I was a kid, though, I've never liked lettuce on a sandwich.  Its kind of a waste of space: no flavor, no nutritional value, you're basically putting water on your sandwich (no offense to those that like lettuce on a sandwich).  :)  Things did change a little since I was a kid, though, and I did at one point start liking mayonnaise on my BLT (my, um, BMT?). 

The BCTA is my take on the classic BLT.  Replace the lettuce with cucumber.  It doesn't have a ton more nutritional value than the lettuce, but there's more flavor than lettuce, and more crunch.  Then replace the mayonnaise with avocado.  Unlike mayo, avocado actually HAS nutritional value.  Not to mention the flavor of an avocado...  (Uh, anyone know the best way to get drool out of my laptop keyboard?)  All remaining ingredients are the same.

Here's what you'll need:

2 slices toasted bread
2 slices bacon, cut in half
3-4 slices cucumber
2-3 slices tomato
1/4 avocado, sliced

It all starts in the skillet.  Fry bacon til done.  If you like crisp bacon, fry til crisp.  I personally like mine a little bit under-crisp, but not completely chewy, either.  When the bacon is done to your likeness, drain on paper towels.

Meanwhile, while the bacon is cooking, slice tomato, cucumber, and avocado.  Slice the cucumber with your vegetable peeler (or mandolin slicer if you'd like) as we did for the Cucumber Feta Rolls.  Slice the tomato as thin or as thick as you'd like.


Assemble your sandwich and enjoy.


Tips for a better sandwich:
1) Thick-slice bacon is always better.
2) Garden-fresh tomatoes are a must.  This is why a BLT (or, in my case, BCTA) is best in the summer when you have access to good RIPE tomatoes.
3) Learn to pick a good avocado.  Not firm, but not too soft.  You'll get it right after a few bad avocados.
4) Use Saralee 45 calorie bread and you'll end up with a 250-275 calorie sandwich (depending on your bacon and avocado - they're your biggest calorie producers outside of the bread).


IN A NUTSHELL:

2 sliced toasted bread
2 slices bacon, cut in half
3-4 slices cucumber
2-3 slices tomato
1/4 avocado, sliced

Fry bacon.  Slice produce.  Slap it all together.  Let your tastebuds do what they do best.

PS - I learned this week that bacon is the "gateway drug" to vegans who become meat-eaters (Thanks Eve!).  Bacon.  I can't think of a better reason to eat meat.  Can you?  :)

1 comment:

  1. VBLTs are delish, too. Just use vegan bacon and avocado or veganaise (or both). ;) Also, my mom likes peanut butter on her BLTs, and I gotta admit, it's pretty good!

    ReplyDelete