Saturday, November 3, 2012

F is for Fudge Brownie


This recipe comes from the very first cookbook I ever had, the Gold Medal Alpha-Bakery Children's Cookbook.  Yes, I started young.  When it comes to brownies, the boxed mixes are generally just as good as anything else, except this recipe.  Its my all-time favorite (hence, this page in the cookbook is a little, um, chocolatey?) 

I do alter the original recipe very slightly (adding cocoa powder), with extra alterations when I begin making them and realize I'm almost out of chocolate chips...  I love the addition of cocoa powder to the recipe as I think it makes the chocolate flavor a little richer.  Its a personal preference, but can be left out since its not part of the original recipe.

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 cup margarine or butter (butter is always better)
1 package (6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped nuts, opt
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, opt

Heat oven to 350.  Grease bottom of a square pan (8x8).  Heat butter and 6 oz chocolate chips over low heat on the stove, stirring constantly (or in the microwave, 30 seconds at a time, being careful not to burn the chocolate).  Stir in remaining ingredients except nuts and 1/2 cup chocolate chips until smooth.  Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.  Spread into pan.  Bake until center is set, about 30 minutes.  Let brownies cool completely before cutting. This recipe doubles easily and bakes in a 9x13 dish. 

Last time I made this recipe I realized I only had 12 oz of chocolate chips (I was doubling the recipe), and I really like to add the additional chocolate chips at the end.  I did, however, have some milk chocolate stars.  Since milk chocolate isn't as rich as semisweet chocolate, I added an additional Tbsp of cocoa powder.  I will admit that even though I substituted in the melted chocolate portion in order to have leftover chocolate chips to stir in at the end, I completely forgot to stir in the additional chocolate chips before baking.  Oops!  Oh, well.  I took the brownies to work anyway, and my co-workers raved over them.  In fact, I found out there's a sort of "calling-tree" that happens when someone realizes I've brought treats.

As usual, I went back to the break room after a little bit and there was one lone brownie left.  And, yes, I did eat the last brownie.  

TIPS:

Bake (will take less than the 30 minutes in the recipe) as muffins and freeze for future single treats.  Microwave individual frozen brownies for 20-30 seconds and enjoy (may need to let cool slightly).

Instead of chopping walnuts with a knife, place nuts in a zipper baggie and "smack" with your rolling pin.  Also a great release for frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment